I am so excited to see that we now have more than 1000 people working together to lose up to 20 pounds by spring. Why are people flocking to this group? Here are my thoughts:
1. People want to lose weight (this is my “no, duh” point)
2. Support groups help people with accountability – the Hawthorne effect (people work harder when they’re being watched) is powerful and we’re using it to our advantage.
3. The people in my group are really cool – they have creative ideas and are always encouraging one another to strive harder.
4. The activity tracker is fun – you can fill out a daily check box regarding your diet and exercise compliance.
5. I can offer medical information and guidance when necessary, plus I’m an enthusiastic cheerleader.
6. It’s free and really easy to use.
7. We’re using the American Heart Association fitness guidelines as part of a comprehensive weight loss strategy.
At this point in the year, at least one third of people have given up on their New Year’s resolutions… but the trick is not to wait another year to get back on track. If you’re struggling with weight loss goals, why not join me and 1000+ other motivated people who want to make long term habits that will get us all to a healthier place? We have weekly challenges, and share everything from recipes to pet photos. Come on in, the water’s warm!This post originally appeared on Dr. Val’s blog at RevolutionHealth.com.