Get Your Fruit On! I love this new tagline from Tropicana. Statistics show that 7 out of 10 Americans are not getting enough fruit in their daily diets. The Dietary Guidelines encourage us to get 2 cups of fruit per day. For those who do get their fruit, many are getting it from 100% orange juice.
Children are especially susceptible to not getting enough fruit. An 8 ounce glass of 100% orange juice has:
- 2 servings of fruit
- 120% of Vitamin C
- 13% of Potassium
- 15% of Folic Acid
- No Sugar Added
- 110 Calories
Tropicana is actually donating up to a quarter of a million fruit servings in the form of Tropicana Pure Premium 100% orange juice to the USDA Summer Food Service Program and the School Breakfast Program. Both programs offer free or reduced price nutritious meals to children in low- income areas. Tropicana did this by getting 5,000 Americans to pledge to increase their fruit intake.
Other tips to Get Your Fruit On (courtesy of Elizabeth Ward, RD):
- Add in-season fruit to your morning bowl of oats or cereal.
- Blend a smoothie using your favorite fresh or frozen fruit and a cup of OJ
- Create a breakfast trail mix by combining dried fruit, nuts, and cereal. You can also use this as a snack.
- Assemble breakfast fruit kabobs using pineapple chunks, bananas, grapes, and berries.
- Drink a glass of 100% fruit juice at breakfast.