Better Health: Smart Health Commentary Better Health (TM): smart health commentary

Article Comments (55)

Warning: Dr. Mehmet Oz Is Not A Trustworthy Source Of Health Information

When I was in medical school at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Dr. Mehmet Oz had the reputation of being a competent and caring cardiothoracic surgeon whose research interest was reducing preoperative stress. I remember hearing about a music study of his in which soothing melodies reduced blood pressure and heart rates in patients preparing for heart surgery. I felt pleased that a surgeon was leading the charge in improving patients’ O.R. experiences, and had no inkling that 15 years later Dr. Oz would be America’s chief snake oil salesman.

I have been slow to criticize Dr. Oz on my blog because of a sense of loyalty to my medical school, however yesterday he crossed the line when things got personal – a friend of mine was negatively impacted by his misinformation to the point where her life was endangered. From watching his TV show, she was led to believe that she would put herself at risk for thyroid cancer if she got a mammogram. Several of her relatives have had breast cancer, and she should be particularly vigilant in her screening efforts. However, because Dr. Oz said that mammograms may themselves cause cancer, she opted out of appropriate screening.

My colleague Dr. David Gorski at Science Based Medicine has done an excellent job of documenting Dr. Oz’s almost Charlie Sheen-like career descent. Although he began his work as (presumably) a science-respecting surgeon, he now spends a lot of his time hosting a TV show that features faith healers, anti-vaccinationists, and psychics.

But how does the average lay person know how to evaluate Dr. Oz’s health claims? When Oprah’s network promotes him as “America’s physician” the platform itself offers him credibility, and a reach that can damage and misinform millions like my friend. I have a feeling that many of my peers at Columbia are concerned about Dr. Oz’s promotion of quackery, but once they’ve invested in his brand for so long, it’s easier to turn a blind eye to his nuttiness than to oust him from his academic positions. At what point is a celebrity doctor doing more harm than good to an institution’s reputation? Is he now “too big to fail?”

But back to my main point – dear readers if you watch Dr. Oz and think that he’s a credible source of health information, please be aware that much of what he says is inaccurate, exaggerated, and based on mystical belief systems. Please don’t act on his advice without checking with your own physician first.

Sadly, good science doesn’t always make good television. But the truth can make you well. Be warned that you are unlikely to find the truth consistently on the Dr. Oz show.

You may also like these posts

Read comments »

55 Responses to “Warning: Dr. Mehmet Oz Is Not A Trustworthy Source Of Health Information”

1. Carolyn Thomas says:

Dr. Val, I too found it hard to NOT like Dr. Oz! After my heart attack, I read his highly recommended book for cardiac patients called ‘Healing From The Heart’, which I found profoundly helpful.

But his TV show now has an equally profound “cringe factor” most days. This is particularly true when he trots out his anti-aging plastic surgery pals to demo their injection miracles on willing (all female) audience members, or when he tries to whip up an old-time revival fervor for his awkward game show-like quiz segments. Truly embarrassing.

But Dr. Oz is no longer the New York cardiac surgeon you knew and the heart author I knew. He’s now a celebrity doctor, and as Dr. Tom Linden says, celebrity doctors can be divided into two broad categories: medical journalists and medical showmen. Dr. Linden, who’s a a professor of medical and science journalism at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, recently told the Los Angeles Times:

“Journalists operate under journalistic principles. The showmen operate outside the sphere of journalism and are in the world of informational entertainment.“

It’s not about medicine now – it’s all about TV ratings. More on this at: “What Has Happened To You, Dr. Oz?” – http://ethicalnag.org/2010/09/01/celebrity-doctors/

Cheers,
    C.

2. elizabeth sewall says:

Rather than expressing opinion against opinion, why not show the stats between the two opposing ways of healing: x # of patients with same disease treated traditional/alternative way for x amount of time, for example.

3. Kathi says:

Thank you for writing this! I’m a physical therapist as well as a breast cancer survivor, and Dr. Oz — and all of his ilk — bugs the crap out of me, frankly. About time someone lobbed some much-needed perspective his way.

4. Dr. Val Jones says:

Thanks for your comments – I enjoyed your blog post, Carolyn! (http://ethicalnag.org/2010/09/01/celebrity-doctors/ ) Oz has certainly bent the knee to ratings over science, and that doesn’t serve patients well. Most people I know find his show “cringe inducing” but it’s those who don’t know any better that I worry about. The show is disturbing beyond the credulity with which he handles pseudoscience, but he has done showy, demeaning, nurse segments (where nurses appear in stereotypical, sexy short white dresses, and dance with him on the stage) and his fixation on anti-aging miracle cures is typical of celebrity docs (see my post at Science Based Medicine about Sanjay Gupta’s recent book on anti-aging: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=2229). I wish that Americans would take a stand against all this mindless, insulting content – because ultimately, the mainstream media will produce more of what sells. 😉

5. Sean says:

Somehow hollywood has made the job of true health care professionals that much more difficult to deliver. We now have to answer to ‘popularity’ contests instead of care based on evidence. *sigh*

6. Tanya says:

While I understand the need to post this information- and while I am not a consistent watcher of Dr. OZ broadcast, I wonder.

I agree it is important to inform people that he and others like him should not be solely relied upon for medical information. Everyone has their agendas and their biases.
    I wonder if Dr Oz is descending as you say, because I remember him talking about the importance of knowing one’s own medical history and getting involved in one’s own care. Those are ideas that should be promoted in whatever way.
    I do think it is dangerous when anyone reaches that kind of platform- and totally agree about the line he crossed-
    but these days people should be reminded to do thier own due diligence, to do their research-

There has been a problem that has come to light in this country recently about unnecessary X rays and/or scans and the increases in unsafe radiation. The important thing to note is the word “Unnecessary”. Everything in life- and especially medical tests and interventions should be well thought out, with the pros and cons investigated well. If one has a family history of a condition, then it is necessary to monitor this in a regular and adequately spaced interval. Depending on the severity of the condition, this usually outweighs the risks of excess radiation exposure. Its all about risk management.
    However, if one does not have a family history and there are no symptoms- there does not seem to be a necessary reason to expose oneself to extra radiation if it can be helped.
    Perhaps he is no longer presenting the information well.
    and about faith in healing- there have been a number of scientific studies that have shown that prayer and meditation and other interactions with a more alternative and/or faith based approaches to healing have actually helped people heal from illnesses- IN ADDITION TO western based medicine. I think it is good to let people know about these findings and different ways to seek out these formats- but not if it crowds out basic medical information.
    Humour, By the way, has also been shown scientifically to have a positive impact on healing in addition to western medical interventions. Everything from cancer rehabilitation to a recent study in a fertility treatment center- have shown positive results from the addition of clowns.
    I could talk about the reasons for this (faith and humor)- the reduction of stress (as you mention) and the more positive attitude generated- the social support felt- these are important complements.
    But yes- we should all be careful of anyone who gets up and says they know the way – we should rather view people as sources of some information and not all.

7. Anne says:

I think he already lost his practice in medicine and is now enjoying being him as a celebrity. Being famous is still good but giving misleading information may kill someone. medical symptoms

8. Dr. Val Jones says:

Hi Anne – I don’t think Dr. Oz has “lost” his medical practice. According to the Columbia website, he is currently the Medical Director of the Integrative Medicine Program and professor of surgery… He ceased being the Director of the Cardiovascular Institute in 2009, though. Hard to know how much clinical medicine he does now. I would guess very little.

9. Nicholas Fogelson, MD says:

He has bent to ratings for sure. His stance on hysterectomy is absurd, and so outside of his specialty that its ridiculous. He has recommended on many occasions that no woman needs a hysterectomy unless they have cancer of the pelvis. What a crock. Tell it to my hundred of patients with fibroids uteruses and debilitating bleeding and anemia. Tell it to my hundreds of patients with severe endometriosis and pelvic pain. Hell, tell it to those who just are tired of some above average bleeding and want the thing out.

This whole ‘soul of a woman is in the uterus’ thing is a niche cultural construct, not a piece of hidden truth. For women who subscribe to this idea, there are a number of conservative measures that have a level of success at treating problematic bleeding. Many women, however, would be happy to have a fairly low risk minimally invasive procedure that has a 100% cure rate for their problem.

10. @murmur55 says:

All that time in front of the camera is giving him squash-rot.

11. Dr. Val Jones says:

Wow, that is dreadful, Dr. Fogelson – the ONLY indication for hysterectomy is pelvic cancer? The number of crazy things that Oz has said blows me away. I haven’t tried to document them all because it’s so painful. But maybe we should make a list? Who knows how much misinformation our profession will need to undo because of the Dr. Oz show?

12. remferrn says:

You went to Columbia but hang out with people who believe information they get from network TV.

13. Stacy says:

Thank you for writing this, Dr. Val. There *are* patients out there (me being one of them!!!!) looking for accurate health information. As someone who runs an information & support site for patients with jaw pain, I am constantly running into this type of misinformation and medical showmanship..It really stings when it is from a source like Dr. Oz – as a lay person, it is incredibly difficult to compete! Don’t even get me started with “The Doctors.” UGH.

14. Dr. Val Jones says:

Ah yes, Stacy, “The Doctors” – promoting miracle mud baths, and platelet rich plasma therapy. Sigh… I don’t watch the show. One was enough it was so painful. 😉

15. inchoate but earnest says:

I’m no Oz proselyte, Dr. Val, but to be fair, isn’t there plenty of evidence that quite a bit of what almost EVERY physician says “inaccurate, exaggerated, and based on “mystical” belief systems”?

16. Mz. Minnie says:

Sorry doc but if you visited Dr. Oz’s show website, there is a link titles recommendations for radiation which if you read it clearly states that the risk of you getting thyroid cancer from mammagram screening is low. It goes further into detail also about it specifically. Each and every person should always consult their own physician forst before hastey dicisions anyway but to dis credit him this way I believe is impropper. Have a wonderful day adn I wish you continued seccess on all your medical and daily endevors.

17. Sara says:

I don’t watch Dr. Oz, or any other daytime shows, for that matter, but I also don’t believe that half of the medical treatments that are out there are based on real facts, either. I think that Dr. Mercola has actually quite a lot of helpful information on his site, even if he sometimes comes off as a little bit too commercial for my tastes.

I’m all about staying as healthy as possible, which involves a healthy diet and exercise, two things that I feel doctors prescribe WAY too little of. High blood pressure? take this drug…nah, exercise isn’t that important. Who cares what you eat when we can give you a statin? That’s the impression I get the older I become.

These women with excessive bleeding who need their uterus removed…what role might diet play in their hormones being messed up in the first place? I feel that most doctors only want what’s best for their patients, but that they spend too much time treating symptoms and not the real cause of the majority of health issues that people are facing.

18. Dianne says:

@Sara oh dear, you are talking about dr. Mercola? The quack who quotes and refers to http://www.whale.to as a source of accurate medical information? Oh dear…

19. Joyce says:

Sadly, I find Dr. OZ more reliable than most doctors today…. Why would you ask. Easy, my son who I have been taking to doctors for years, finally got diagnosed by a 2 specialist both developmental pediatricians who had confirmed what I had suspected.. He has asperger’s syndrome, at the age of 9. My 8 year old, was diagnosed at 5 years of age with high functioning… I kept telling the doctors when he was a 1 year old… he isn’t speaking, he isn’t walking, he isn’t with us… What garbage and bull shit was I told.. “oh boys are lazy, don’t worry about it, he is a little on the heavy side… don’t worry about it.. I GOT 4 YEARS OF THIS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!… and to this day, no one really knows what causes autism….

20. Christine Vara says:

Thank you for your perspective on Dr. Oz. It is reassuring when doctors, like yourself, take a stand for seeking sound medical advice. Personally, I do not watch Dr. Oz much. However, on occassion, when I have investigated some of his shows, I am usually surprised that the medical community isn’t more vocal at exposing Dr.Oz for what he is – a celebrity doctor playing to his audience.

(Check out my own post regarding Dr.Oz’s coverage of autism and vaccines at http://shotofprevention.com/2011/02/18/dr-oz-autism-show-focuses-on-fear-offers-little-hope/).

Sadly, I think part of his popularity comes from the fact that there is a portion of the population that wants to be actively involved in diagnosing their medical conditions. It’s true that we know our bodies best. However, the average person lacks the medical expertise to make a full objective assessment of our health. Instead, people often act on emotion and wrongfully rely on the impressive credentials of Dr. Oz. Additionally, this is comlicated by the fact that too often, people don’t have solid relationships with their own providers. In this way, it is easy to understand why they put their faith in Dr. Oz. They feel more connected to someone who they can “visit” with each day, than they do to their own providers. The problem is that there are real life-threatening risks that can result from this. It’s unfortunate to think that Dr. Oz is doing such a disservice to people, like your friend. Perhaps others in the medical community will join you in warning patients about the risks of taking “talk-show” advice from Dr. Oz. Thanks again for your post.

21. Dr. Val says:

Thanks for your support, Christine. I enjoyed your blog post very much. It is so sad when people prey on others’ fears for publicity – it’s one of the oldest tricks in the books. I know that there are many good doctors out there who are committed to science and telling their patients the truth. I hope they’ll use the Internet (and social media) to drown out the misinformation!

22. ileana says:

Dr. Val,

The issue with medical advice on the Internet is not that much that it’s bad or good, as much as that it’s presented with such passion and in black/white tones. I don’t care much for Dr. Oz, but your reaction raised a question for me: why would you get so angry as to write this post about mammography causing thyroid cancer… there is some amount of radiation from mammogram. There are risks and benefits for each tests. Why are you angry at Dr. Oz and not at your friend’s physician that did not have the time/inclination to discuss her mammogram risks/benefits with your friend? Why not with the US healthcare system that allows the popular doctors on TV to become more important to us than our own personal physicians?

I wouldn’t even start discussing mammogram risks vs. benefits with my doctor because I know she would get just as angry as you are: please please find a non-passionate way of dispersing medical information rather than starting a war against others: how would we patients know who is right or wrong: who is yelling louder, who is having more support?

And on a side note: every morning, I get an advertisement from Columbia hospital proudly talking about what he said as the ultimate source of truth… yes the doctors are not the marketers, but isn’t there an issue here? It doesn’t seem likely that Columbia will throw him out anytime soon.

23. James says:

Joyce: other than an incoherent anecdote, you failed to present an argument to support your case.

We don’t know what causes autism, therefore Dr. Oz is trustworthy? Sorry, that is a major logic fail.

Tanya: prayer doesn’t work and ‘selling non-specific effects’ by lying to people is unethical.

Regarding Dr. Mercola… He is a dangerous quack who seldom provides reliable information – he is dangerous. It is bothersome that the very people who argue against ‘Big Pharma’ and the ‘medical establishment’ based on some idea of it being ALL about the money fail to see Joe Mercola’s direct profit motive.

Thanks Val. I am glad I found this site – I’ve now got it bookmarked.

24. ann flake says:

i realize that people believe what dr. oz says as facts on his shows but he also states the probability factors and percentiles of each. if your friend was smart she would know this. she only heard that one thing and not the entirety of the segment..

25. Nicholas Fogelson says:

Mercola is a total quack. “Don’t get a root canal because its impossible to actually remove the toxins from the tooth” He says the nerve tunnels are so small its impossible to get them all. Complete nonsense. Don’t have a dental implant because the titanium post it requires creates a magnetic field that will cause “problems”, he says. What complete BS. The guy is an absolute quack..

26. Claire says:

I’m scientifically literate, but still quite a lay person.

I like to think that I “get it.” and my understanding of what science is and how it works allowed me to detect some deception in Dr. OZ immedietly.

Then again I’m under the impression that if he were really trying to help people he’d be practiciing medicine. There has to be better way to get real science into mainstream, and what he’s doing is not it.

27. AJ says:

Great article. Here’s a good summary of Dr. Oz: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZDoggMD#p/u/10/tvRzWUQQfIg

28. Jennifer, LPN says:

I have been a nurse for over 10 years and I USED to watch Dr. Oz until his advice started becoming increasingly absurd and in many ways dangerous. Especially, during one episode in which he was discussing diverticulitis and informed his audience and at home viewers that is was MYTH to avoid nuts, seeds and kernels. He said it was okay to eat those types of foods as long as you kept a food diary to know which of these could cause flare-ups. In my case, I have severe diverticulitis and I have been hospitalized twice in 3 years with abscesses and small tears in my bowel. Any one of those foods could land me in the hospital for several days. This is just one of many times he gave very bad and possibly dangerous advice. Don’t be fooled by “the man behind the curtain”…or in this case, “the man in front of the camera”. Although he has given SOME good advice, he also given very bad medical suggestions.

29. erin says:

To say that one with a high risk should not get the needed and appropriate mammogram would never be stated by this fabulous man. Your friend needs to use her brain. I know a woman who did get breast cancer in the very breast that was scanned in her teens due to a lump then which ended up being benign. Is there a relation between the two? Who knows? She says YES! I love Dr. Oz! He is no snake oil salesman. He has guests on almost every show who are leaders in their fields of study and research. You should be careful what you call people and say about them.

30. anne bartee says:

how can dr oz have a medical practice now and do a tv show everyday?? impossible,, all this homopathic advice cannot be good for everyone ,,, don’t take something unless you check it out for your body ,,, since oz is a gemini born june 11th I would think he is a snake oil salesman and it is done for tv ratings ,,, some things could be great for you some not,, oz is very educated and has a great medical track record,,, but always check out some thing before you put anything in your body,,, oz has nothing to lose ,,,he is rich,,,,,

31. Peaches says:

Doctor Oz tries to make people see the big picture. Too many of us follow the crowd and do what we are told. Especially if it’s something our doctor tells us. The whole mammogram thing is huge. You get tsk’d if you don’t go. But, we don’t know everything. Radiation aside, have you ever thought about the trauma that a breast goes through during the compression? Do you know that we have cancer cells in our blood vessels and if those vessels burst, such as during breast trauma, or compression, they can leak out into your bloodstream??? Cooper’s ligaments are so fragile. There a lot of women who have left their mammo to have misshapen breasts because of these ligaments being torn. Breast tissue can get damaged as well. And some women suffer on-going pain after a mammogram. So please, do not put Dr. Oz down for trying to bring the whole picture into the light. And I have a feeling that if mammograms weren’t such a big business Dr. Oz would have more to say about them. There are also alternatives that no on speaks of. Do a google search of “pain after mammogram” and see the horrifying stories.

32. Geoff says:

You want to know who you can trust? Start by eliminating those that you can OBVIOUSLY rule out as a trustworthy source of information. Anyone with just a smidgen of discernment knows that you cannot trust ANYONE linked so strongly to Oprah. This woman has an amazing ability to speak out of both sides of her mouth at the same time (well it IS a big mouth). You cannot get accurate information from someone who, like Dr. Oz,, believes that EVERYTHING, no matter how contradictory, is true.

You can be extremely gifted in medicine, but if you don’t have basic beliefs to guide you, you’re going to have a great deal of trouble discerning fact from fiction. Dr. Oz starts by trying to blend his Muslim faith with Christian ideas. The two are mutually exclusive! Just because you say all things are true and equal doesn’t make it so.

“How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn’t make it a leg.”
    – Abraham Licoln

33. sylvia kronstadt says:

Hi:
    I thought this controversial series might interest your fans.

PART ONE describes the program’s blaringly sensationalistic, manipulative tabloid promotion; Oz’s single-handed transformation of the wellness-industrial complex, which is now almost entirely at the mercy of his whims; his millions of fans, who stampede forth after every show, desperate to buy his “miracle” recommendations before they sell out; the evolution of his educational program into a kitschy Pee Wee’s Playhouse party with a game-show vibe and Tinker-Toy props; and the extraordinary growth of the Oz “brand” and media empire. This section also describes the show’s shallow obsession with wrinkles, and its “exotic cures” for “the embarrassment of looking old.”
    PART TWO is about the program’s gimmicky, irresponsible “don’t move a muscle” approach to losing weight. Oz’s “mysterious” and “secret” potions and obscure SUPERFOODS will “blast belly fat” and “bust butt fat” while you sleep or just sit there, chewing (chewing burns calories, and so does kissing). He promises “revolutionary” regimens that involve drinking tea and using “quick cheats” and “incredible tricks” to drop those pounds and “get your life back” with “no deprivation!” Eat twice as much and lose 10 pounds! Is it “magic” — or malpractice?
    PART THREE examines the ethics of Oz in promoting what some of his fellow doctors regard as “quack theories” and for advocating the use of one supplement after another without disclosing their interactions and contraindications. He has warmly welcomed unsavory “faith healers” and those who “talk to the dead” onto his program. He has urged his viewers to try highly controversial diets, products and procedures, even after — in some cases — having opposed them as “dangerous.” This section also describes the ever larger and more complex Oz media empire, which is riddled with ethically dubious commercial alliances. Even his TV show has increasingly taken on the tone of an infomercial, filled with gushing praise for brand-name products, ranging from shampoos to a $2,500 bed. We also survey his grand expanse of crazy remedies and “bizarre” cures.

Sylvia

34. MARK says:

You give no evidence that Dr Oz has given misleading or untrue information, If I remember rightly Dr Oz told his viewers that Mammograms are an important precaution but that they should be aware that they can IF NOT done correctly cause cancer, He said you should IF DONE CORRECTLY have a thyroid shield, He did not advise Women not to take a scan so if your friend didn’t listen properly Dr Oz can not be blamed for that, I tell you this from memory so if I was able to get the message I suggest your friend needs to learn to listen more carefully in the future and as you have made this false claim you need to get your facts right. I don’t agree with some comments Dr Oz makes but at least I don’t rubbish him based on unsubstantiated conjecture Your should be ashamed of your self for rubbishing someone you claim you once respected when you clearly haven’t even tried to find out if your friend had valid point. You have probably made some peoples trust in Dr Oz waver somewhat based on conjecture, Surely this is a case for deformation of character. Based on your comments you SHOULD be charged accordingly. It’s disgusting that someone of your standing can make such claims without SUFFICIENT evidence to back your claim.

35. MARK says:

I have gone on to read the about the link you provided Dr David Gorski and although I also wouldn’t have liked to have seen John Edward on the show as I also don’t believe in the crap which I think is just Edwards ability to read PEOPLE kind of like the Mentalist (Ok just an example that some people may relate to) an no ability to communicate with people that have pass on, I do believe in the power of mind over matter and as long as people believe it will help them it will so no harm done other than disillusionment. As for Joe Mercola I think you and your colleague are afraid of people like him that talk of the truth as it will impact on YOUR INCOME and that is the whole problem you have with Joe Mercola he is setting the record straight and therefore letting people know that much of modern medicine is in fact making people sick therefore making it harder for you to “sell” your medical views. Joe shows very sound rational logic. Question, Why with all the Modern medical knowledge are people getting sicker than before?, You can not tell me that most Medicines have a side affect as these chemicals are poisonous in them selves, Is this a ridiculous claim I make? if so why can you overdose on Meds but only in EXTREME amounts of Vitamin, Minerals,or herbs and spices can you overdose, The answer is because these are NATURAL and are not man made chemicals so the body knows how to use them. The Dietary revolution is the biggest scam of all time, So many Diet Soda’s, Diet meals etc and yet there is an ever increasing obesity epidemic going on and why?, again man made chemicals. These Chemicals have there place and that is in extreme emergencies and necessary surgery not to treat every day colds and flues. You speak out of fear (loss of income) an most of all ignorance , You are too afraid if you do due diligence and research claims made by the like of Dr Joe Mercola and Dr Oz you will be proven wrong.

36. MARK says:

Ha Ha @ anne bartee you want this guy to take you seriously, When you mentioned the astrology you lost him right there, He clearly can not see outside of what he has been told is true. He was taught with Medical Manuals put together by major Pharmaceuticals and drug companies ( These people can make the FDA roll over and play dead at the drop a $100,000 in the right hands). It’s these Pharmaceuticals that sponsor people like Dr Val Jones to get through Med school because they have vested interest in making sure they have people to sell there goods.

37. Pamela Lear says:

I could never really trust a doctor who is on his own TV show. It’s too likely that they will get caught up in the glitz, glamour, and money involved. Ultimately, remember that the show has to be entertaining to keep viewers, sponsors and to make money, and so the show will stoop to ridiculous levels to maintain their popularity. (I’m putting this comment on that blog also, FYI).

38. Robbin Di Ciacco says:

In previous years I admired Dr. Oz. I have stopped recording his show about six months ago when he started touting plastic surgery and such.
    Dr Fogelson, hysterectomy is out of control as of the last few years. I feel surgeons are quick to recommend surgery and fail to advise other options such as ablation, hormone therapy or even iron replacement before recommending surgical options.

Dr. Jones- most mammography centers offer thyroid collars nowadays even though mammograms have a lower level of radiation than most X-rays. It all adds up and with the number of cases of thyroid cancer on the rise now mammography seems like a likely source of blame.

Although I don’t agree with all Dr. Mercola has to say, some of his statements have merit, as do some of Dr. Oz’s. Like anything you read and hear though, it is best discussed with your own private healthcare practitioner. To see if it is best suited for you.

39. Robbin says:

To Jennifer LPN- Dr Oz is correct in regards to the old myth of avoidance of nuts,seeds etc.
    Please view the following and look under “can diverticulitis be prevented”.
    This is documentation from the American Association of Gastroenterolgy.

40. ThanksMARK says:

Hi, MARK – You seem to think that these doctors are speaking out against Mercola because they are concerned about their income? Did it not occur to you that Mehmet Oz and Joe Mercola probably make 10 times what Dr. Jones and Dr. Fogelson make? Shouldn’t you be more concerned that Oz and Mercola are pushing their nonsense so they can buy houses next door to the Kardashians?

41. Louise says:

OMGosh what sour grapes !!! David Gorski moreso than most – so typical of the medical profession – SO terrified that their control of the populace will some day end !!!!! Dr. OZ pisses you all off because he empowers people to take care of their health – rather than see you for treatment and fill your pockets with coin.

42. ZDoggMD says:

Dr. Val, you are awesome for helping shine a light on a doc who went from legit to full on quack. I humbly submit my dis rap video stating a similar viewpoint (called Sucker MDs): http://zdoggmd.com/2011/06/sucker-mds/

43. joni soma says:

…firstly, he is doing harm….stop him now…get him off the air!!!!…bleeping fruitloop, that Dr. Oz.

44. Eohippus says:

Great post, I wholeheartedly agree. I don’t watch talk shows of any kind, so for a long time my knowledge of him was limited to knowing his and association with Oprah. I was instinctively suspicious of his motives and advice once I saw a photo of him on the show wearing scrubs. I’ve almost always seen medical professionals on TV wearing low key business style attire unless they were being taped while in a hospital. My immediate impression was that while he may offer sound advice, it still smacks of being showy. Whenever I’m in Sam’s I often end up having to dodge salespeople hawking Dr. Oz approved supplements and diet plans.

The best medical professionals I’ve encountered were sometimes arrogant, but always remembered their core responsibility was placing furthering health ahead of promoting themselves. Even the more egotistical individuals tended to keep their ambitions within the medical community instead of turning themselves into a brand peddled to laypeople. Even those who are widely known to the public can manage to be highly successful without creating quasi-personality cults for profit, as evidenced by people such as C Everett Koop and Paul Offit

45. Lu says:

I don’t watch Dr. Oz. I am an RN and I am not happy that my sister and her spouse value Dr Oz opinion to the point that they are putting their health in danger. They recently started taking some “all natural diet pills” to have energy and lose 1 pound a day!. How healthy is this? All its done for them is a cycle of uppers and downers. Their hearts race and then when the pills climax, they come down from their high and are so tired they need more to have that energy again. I have heart trouble and have a pacemaker. Do I want that for my sister or better yet she going to die from a heart attack because her heart is so out of whack! At least my heart problems were due to a virus attacking my heart and not because I was listening to some glorified television so called doctor who is only in it for the ratings and doesn’t give a flip about people in general! Thank you!

46. Michael Schumacher says:

Dr.Val, are you jealous?

47. Pablo says:

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great
    written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to see more posts like this .

48. Kathy says:

I’m not sure if this thread is still alive, but I found the comments disturbing. The majority of posters tend to see this as a black and white issue. Comments either assume Dr Oz is a complete quack and the traditional medical community are the only ones capable of truly ‘knowing’ medical answers, or the opposite. As everyone knows, you can take any physical ailment and visit 10 doctors and come away with 10 different opinions and prescribed treatments. And this is from doctors who don’t have their own television shows. For every Dr. Oz giving some false information over the air, there are countless people in private doctors offices receiving equally bad info. In my 60+ years I’ve been at the receiving end of good medical treatment, but have also suffered from wrong diagnoses, pompous attitudes, and bad medical decisions. Medicine is not a precise science! Anything ANY doctor tells you should be backed up with second or third opinions AND lots of research on your own. Get informed.

49. Jacob says:

One need look no farther the his new diet pill ads to see he is not a trusted source of information. Pure shock advertising with obviously edited photos. Gotta love marketing research, since they are now saying that grosssing out poeple is more effective then scaring them we will most likely see many more ads like his (although I would think the ineffectual anti-smoking ads on Canadian cigarette packs kinda drives home the point that neither fear or disgust has any effect at all).

His “magic pill” is nothing more then a green tea caffiene pill ( of which there is hundreds of brands) and is displayed as it’s all that is really needed to lose weight. It’s quakery pure and simple.

Can caffiene aid in weight lose? Yes. But without proper diet and a positive attitude it won’t change a thing. Cut out sugar and simple carbs (bread, potatoes, etc), eat a high protein breakfast within 30 mins of waking, and do kettlebell swings 2-3 times a week for 20-30 mins and you’ll reach your weight loss goal. One “cheat day” a week helps to. Not only is it satisfying mentally it will keep your metabolic system from adapting to a set amount of energy intake. Also forget the word calorie, it’s a buzz word. Can be handy for letting you (roughly) know how crappy that greasy burger is, but has no place in the regular persons vocabulary. Your body doesn’t absorb every single nutrient or fat/protein/carb you put into it.

If I could recommend 1 book it would be The 4 Hour Body. If you have weight issues (too much or too little) it will get you heading on the right path (consult your Doctor if you have issues of course). A proper diet is a simple thing, and fun to. It’s sorting through all the scare tactics and misinformation that can be difficult and dangerous.

There’s a saying in the health industry “Complicate to sell, simplfy to grow”. In other words the only people with a vested interest in telling you the truth (that “optimal health” is a very simple but individual thing) is new companies, since they are trying to grow. Established companies have 1 goal, make it more complex, leads to more sales.

Dr. Oz, with 1 ad campaign you have erased any lingering ideas I had about you wanting to help people. It’s just about money now, plain and simple.

50. Lin Canto says:

I am not here to defend Dr. Memhet Oz or the oposite. But, isn’t that inportant That people have a few more alternative ideias, and as mature individuals, make their own decisions?
    I do not see Dr.Oz often, but.Actualy I was intrigued about the show…and wanted to listen.I did… I do remember to listen to his avise on taking screens re: breast cancer. He also said and advises people to talk to their GP’s .
    Of course he does introduce many alternative meds…But…one has to decide what is best. I prefer information and choice. After all it is our individual choice that improves or declines our health.We will be our own culprits.
    Thank you so much for all your information.

Return to article »

Latest Interviews

IDEA Labs: Medical Students Take The Lead In Healthcare Innovation

It’s no secret that doctors are disappointed with the way that the U.S. healthcare system is evolving. Most feel helpless about improving their work conditions or solving technical problems in patient care. Fortunately one young medical student was undeterred by the mountain of disappointment carried by his senior clinician mentors…

Read more »

How To Be A Successful Patient: Young Doctors Offer Some Advice

I am proud to be a part of the American Resident Project an initiative that promotes the writing of medical students residents and new physicians as they explore ideas for transforming American health care delivery. I recently had the opportunity to interview three of the writing fellows about how to…

Read more »

Latest Cartoon

Latest Book Reviews

Book Review: Is Empathy Learned By Faking It Till It’s Real?

I m often asked to do book reviews on my blog and I rarely agree to them. This is because it takes me a long time to read a book and then if I don t enjoy it I figure the author would rather me remain silent than publish my…

Read more »

The Spirit Of The Place: Samuel Shem’s New Book May Depress You

When I was in medical school I read Samuel Shem s House Of God as a right of passage. At the time I found it to be a cynical yet eerily accurate portrayal of the underbelly of academic medicine. I gained comfort from its gallows humor and it made me…

Read more »

Eat To Save Your Life: Another Half-True Diet Book

I am hesitant to review diet books because they are so often a tangled mess of fact and fiction. Teasing out their truth from falsehood is about as exhausting as delousing a long-haired elementary school student. However after being approached by the authors’ PR agency with the promise of a…

Read more »